Honeyed Pears in Puff Pastry
I felt the need to experiment on dessert and found this beautiful pear recipe. It turned out beautifully. Hope you enjoy or better yet, come try it for yourself!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.YIELD:4 servings
• 4 small pears
• 4 cups water
• 2 cups sugar
• 1 cup honey
• 1 small lemon, halved
• 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
• 6 to 8 whole cloves
• 1 vanilla bean
• 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
• 1. Core pears from bottom, leaving stems intact. Peel pears; cut 1/4 in. from the bottom of each to level if necessary.
• 2. In a large saucepan, combine the water, sugar, honey, lemon halves, cinnamon and cloves. Split vanilla bean and scrape seeds; add bean and seeds to sugar mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; place pears on their sides in saucepan and poach, uncovered, for 18-22 minutes or until pears are almost tender, basting occasionally with poaching liquid.
• 3. Remove pears with a slotted spoon; cool slightly. Strain and reserve 1-1/2 cups poaching liquid; set aside.
• 4. Unfold puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Starting at the bottom of a pear, wrap a pastry strip around pear, adding additional strips until pear is completely wrapped in pastry. Repeat with remaining pears and puff pastry.
• 5. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
• 6. Meanwhile bring reserved poaching liquid to a boil; cook until liquid is thick and syrupy, about 10-15 minutes. Place pears on dessert plates and drizzle with syrup. Serve warm. Yield: 4 servings.
Read more: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/honeyed-pears-in-puff-pastry/print#ixzz3OhTw1wC1